About the ACFTN
The Association for Children and Families TN is a co-ed temporary emergency shelter for runaway youth between the ages of 16 and 20. We can provide shelter for up to 40 youth a night. Our program is designed to meet the emergency needs of homeless youth and prepare them to leave our shelter and enter a safe and functional living situation. Most of our participants stay at the shelter for less than 90 days, but they are able to stay as long as it takes for a case manager to find them a suitable living arrangement.
ACFTN offers several low-cost services that will help our youth be healthy, successful, and safe:
- We offer all of the necessities to living comfortable and safely including food, clothing, bedding, personal hygiene products, medical, and dental care.
- All students who stay here are able to attend school at the local campus of our city wide independent school district. We also provide educational experiences like field trips, social activities, volunteerism opportunities, and community service projects.
- On-site psychiatric care addresses the mental health needs of all program participants. Many of our youth have escaped from traumatic situations and their mental wounds will receive care and treatment.
- We also offer family therapy that teaches parenting techniques and good communication skills.
- We prepare our participants for life after the shelter by providing life skills training. The lessons they receive are age-appropriate and can include cooking, communication skills, career readiness, and financial literacy.
Our programming is open to all. We don't discriminate due to race, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or past involvement with the juvenile justice system. The shelter includes two dorms buildings, a cafeteria, a recreation hall, office building, playground, and sports field. Our facilities are clean, safe, and comfortable. We strive to make our shelter feel like home.